Creations from man made objects discarded as refuse and reinterpreted to form objects found in nature are the inspirations for my art. The simple spoon forms the body of a rainbow trout; a discarded children's toy becomes the foundation for a moose; oil cans transform into armadillos. Building on that the reclaimed objects are then transformed from their mechanized human intentions into organic figures found in nature.

Monday, January 7, 2013

How quickly it has become a long road!



This armadillo is the second piece I ever completed! I can not remember exactly how many years ago that was. I know it was before I had moved to Pennsylvania and still lived in Texas. I guess that was my inspiration!
I gave this piece to my sister some years ago as a gift and had not seen it in quite a while. It was brought back to me over Thanksgiving in need of some repair work after meeting the business end of a tennis racket while they were chasing a bat in their home. Apparently, this is a big problem in upstate New York!
Well, it is all fixed now and the damage was not so bad considering.  However, while working on it I could not help to reminisce  on originally building it and the journey since then but what struck me the most was just how crude it is!
Don't get me wrong my work lends itself to crudeness but I liken that to abstract painting. I will be the 1st to tell you that I am no Art Historian and this is only my opinion, abstraction does have to be done with great skill to be done correctly and “work”.
Looking at this armadillo - noticing the rough welds the clunky details etc.... it is fun to see how my work has evolved and if I may say so improved from this early piece.
In revisiting this piece the one fact that struck me the most was that even after all these years I still have that same passion for creating these works and still feel the excitement in completed pieces - in the end I hope that still shows.
So, who knows what I will be writing about or where I will be years from now!

By the way the image below is the 1st piece I ever completed!



No comments:

Post a Comment